SPOR06041 2022 Athletics and Gymnastics
The student as coach is the main theme of the athletics element of this module. This module aims to qualify the student with the skills and competencies required to coach athletics (or another preselected sport) at novice and developmental level. The subject will be taught in conjunction with the relevant NGB qualifications and within the context of the National Coaching Development Plan.
The student will also learn gymnastics skills and appreciate the aesthetics of movement. Exploratory gymnastics (also called educational gymnastics) is an approach that will allow the student to explore the different elements of gymnastics movements; including body awareness, basic body positions, balance, support, locomotor skills, and circular movements.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Describe and analyse skills development and motor learning theory.
Demonstrate good communication and individual management strategies to improve participation and learning.
Coach the basic skills of athletics and gymnastics in a safe, inclusive and effective manner.
Show proficiency in self-reflection and self-evaluation of learning in gymnastics and athletics.
Prepare and produce a gymnastics movement sequence that explores the use of movement and applies the theory of educational gymnastics and movement concepts in a creative way in response to set tasks, both individually and with others.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Fundamental concepts are introduced and illustrated through lectures. The understanding of students is tested and further enhanced through student centred learning exercises and interactive tutorial sessions. Students practice coaching of athletics in real life scenarios. The application of theory to practice is facilitated through both teaching and practical based field experience.
Exploratory gymnastics contrasts significantly with formal gymnastics in that it allows students to respond to a movement challenge in a variety of ways. There is no correct way to solve the challenge and there is no exactness expected. This allows the learner to explore, discover how their bodies move, and respond in ways that are appropriate for their abilities. Everyone is able to solve the challenge; therefore, everyone feels successful. The focus on the lesson is on problem solving, which allows the students to develop body-management skills as they solve the movement problems. This method also allows for individual differences. Within the module's theory and practical components, a blended method of delivery is an option when suitable.
Module Assessment Strategies
- Completion of Logbook which must contain all practical sessions, associated organisation and a self evaluation of the students role as coach and organiser based on their work throughout the term. The logbook allows for the student to capture their lesson plans and learning in one centralised location. This material can be used as a resource for teaching and coaching future clients. This material also provides a bank of evidence of work completed and can therefore be used when applying to complete future studies. This logbook will also capture the students own research which is relevant to the topic of teaching and coaching.
- Micro Teaching: This form of assessment will allow for the student to demonstrate their teaching and coaching ability. The student will design, manage and run a safe and effective skills based practical session in athletics and gymnastics.
Repeat Assignments may take the form of:
- Project Work
- Practical Work
Skill Development (1/2/3)
- Social Motives
- Specific Needs, Intellectual and Physical disabilities
- Motor Skills Defined
- Motor programmes and skill classification
Introduction to Athletics
- Ethical practice for the coach
- Coaching skills
- Developing lesson plans
- Hosting an athletics meeting
- Road running, Cross Country and track events
- Running Techniques: Head, shoulder, leg drive, knee positions, arm action
- Training programmes for endurance, speed, speed endurance
- Movement Analysis
- High Jump
- long Jump
- Triple Jump
Preparing for Competition
- The event
- Cool down
Exploring body positions
- Balance and Flexibility
- Cross-Leg Sit to Stand
- Thread the Needle
Exploring Support Skills
- Support on three or four body parts
- Arm Support
- V-Sit Support
- Animal Movements
Exploring Locomotor Skills
- Foot patterns
- Twisting rotations (sideward tumbling/ pencil roll/ side tuck toll)
- Combinations and Routines
Foundational Positions and Movements
- Tuck (sitting tuck / supported tuck / supine tuck / inverted tuck / Learning cues.
- Pike (sitting . standing / standing supported / supine / inverted / learning cues).
- Straddle (Sitting / standing / piked / piked supine straddle . piked inverted)
- Standing balance (Arabesque)
- Non-standing balance – knee / inverted / front support / shoulder stand / rear support / side support / front support to tuck / v-sit variations /
- Forward walks . skipping / tuck jump / half turn /
- Sideward rotations / Weight transfer – cartwheel
- Horizontal circular rotations – rolls –roll lead ups – forward and backward / straddle
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Learning Outcomes Assessed
Full Time Mode Workload
Required & Recommended Book List
2021-11-15 Adapted Physical Education and Sport Human Kinetics Publishers
ISBN 1718211112 ISBN-13 9781718211117
This thoroughly revamped classic text helps readers identify and meet the needs of children with disabilities. Readers will learn to create effective individualized education programs and develop and implement top-quality physical education and sport programs for people with disabilities.
2021-08 Gymnastics Franklin Watts
ISBN 1445178478 ISBN-13 9781445178479
2019 Positive Pedagogy for Sport Coaching
ISBN 0367218216 ISBN-13 9780367218218
Positive Pedagogy is an athlete-centred, inquiry-based approach that transforms the way we understand learning and coaching in sport. This book demonstrates how Positive Pedagogy for sport coaching(PPed) can be successfully employed across a range of sports and levels of performance, while also providing insight into coaches' experiences. Now in a fully revised and updated second edition, the book introduces the key concepts that underpin Positive Pedagogy and offers detailed case studies of Positive Pedagogy in action, with reflections from practising coaches. It also provides more detail and direction for coaches interested in implementing the approach. This new edition moves beyond coaching in individual sports to explain how Positive Pedagogy can be applied to all sport coaching across a wide range of sports, including basketball, baseball, football, rugby, boxing, swimming, track and field athletics, as well as strength and conditioning. Positive Pedagogy for sport coachingboth improves performance and promotes positive learning experiences across all ages and abilities. This book is invaluable reading for all sports coaching students as well as any practising coaches or physical education teachers looking to improve or even transform their professional practice. lt;/P> Positive Pedagogy for sport coachingboth improves performance and promotes positive learning experiences across all ages and abilities. This book is invaluable reading for all sports coaching students as well as any practising coaches or physical education teachers looking to improve or even transform their professional practice.
2014-11-10 Track & Field Coaching Essentials Human Kinetics
ISBN 9781450489324 ISBN-13 145048932X
Leading USATF coaches present event-specific technical instruction and training regimens in this official level 1 text of USA Track & Fields coach education program. Experts in sport psychology, physiology, and biomechanics provide coaches knowledge and applications to improve athletes performance.
- Track Suit
- White Soled Gym Shoes
- Hard Backed Notebook