HRM07021 2021 Human Resource Management
This module is designed to provide students with an understanding of key people management processes and practices within organisations today. It examines the role of the human resource professional as a strategic business partner. Mixing theory and practice, it will explore key functions of HRM including human resource planning, employee recruitment and selection, performance management, employee relations and reward management.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Debate the role of the human resource function in an organisational context.
Describe the key elements of talent planning and management and how to use HR metrics to make better business decisions.
Review the main aspects of recruitment and selection.
Evaluate the role of performance management in organisations.
Outline the role of reward within human resource management.
Examine approaches to employee relations in organisations.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Effective teaching and learning strategies will evolve when module commences. However, it is expected that small group work, problem-based learning, peer support will occur as part of this module. Creative tools will also be used to assist students with their understanding of key theoretical concepts and ideas.
Module Assessment Strategies
100% CA which may be any of the following: group project, presentation, role play, written exam (closed or open book), multiple choice quiz, case study, essay or report.
An example combination could be : Multiple Choice Quiz x 2 (15% each) and Case Study x 2 (35% each)
Repeat assessment will be developed to align with failed components.
1. The role of HRM in an organisational context.
- Define HRM
- Describe the role, structure and main activities of the HRM function.
- Understand the role of organisational context in HRM.
- Distinguish between HR strategy, policy and procedure.
- Explain the term strategic HRM.
2. Talent Planning and Management.
- Explain the terms talent planning and talent management.
- Assess the internal and external factors affecting talent planning.
- Explore each stage of the talent planning cycle.
- Discuss the relationship between talent planning and talent management.
- Explore the ways that best-in-class companies are leveraging people analytics.
3. Recruitment and Selection
- Distinguish between the recruitment and selection process.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different recruitment methods.
- Explain the shortlisting process.
- Discuss the range of selection methods.
- Critically evaluate the interview as a selection method.
- Outline how employment legislation impacts recruitment and selection.
4. Performance Management
- Describe the meaning of performance management.
- Discuss the main approaches to performance management.
- Identify the main pitfalls associated with performance management.
- Critically evaluate the appraisal interview.
5. Role of Reward in Human Resource Management
- Describe reward as a broader concept than just pay.
- Distinguish between the different elements of the reward package.
- Explain the internal and external factors that influence reward.
- Explain how organisations determines the relative value of jobs.
- Critically discuss pay as a motivator.
6. Employee Relations
- Outline the nature and theories of the employment relationship.
- Discuss the role and function of employee representatives and employer organisations as actors in the employment relationship.
- Explain the role of state bodes in employee relations.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Continuous Assessment any of the following: Written exam or multi choice test or quiz||Coursework Assessment||Assessment||30 %||Any||1,2,3,4,5,6|
|2||Continuous Assessment any of the following: Individual or Group project, Essay, Report or Case Study||Coursework Assessment||Assessment||35 %||Any||3|
|3||Continuous Assessment any of the following: Individual or Group project, Essay, Report or Case Study||Coursework Assessment||Assessment||35 %||Any||4|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Independent Learning||4||Weekly||4.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2019 Human Resource Management Macmillan International
Leatherbarrow, C & Fletcher J (2018 ) Introduction to Human Resource Management A Guide to HR in Practice, CIPD Kogan Page
Gunnigle, P., Heraty, Noreen & Morley, Michael J (2017 ) Human Resource Management in Ireland, 5th Edition, Gill and Macmillan
People Management Journal, CIPD
Book and website collection may alter and extend as the programme progresses.