HRM07007 2022 Managing People 1
This module aims to introduce the non HR student to key people management processes and practices in organisations. It will provide them with the knowledge required to effectively lead teams and manage people in the workplace.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Discuss the central role of the professsional manager in leading teams at work.
Evaluate and recommend appropriate recruitment and selection methods for your sector.
Investigate and recommend appropriate employee performance management and appraisal processes for your sector.
Discuss grievance and disciplinary procedures and how to effectively use these procedures in managing people in the workplace.
Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of equality, diversity and inclusion in effective team leadership
Teaching and Learning Strategies
Effective teaching and learning strategies will evolve as the module is delivered. There will be an emphasis on how the knowledge developed is applied in practice by team leaders through the use of appropriate case studies and other relevant exercises. It is expected that lectures (live, virtual, and/or recorded), videos, guest speakers, class discussions, case studies, guided readings, group work, problem-based learning will be core to this module.
Module Assessment Strategies
100% continuous assessment which may be any of the following: group project, presentation (recorded/live or virtual), role play, open-book exam or essay, multiple choice quiz, case study.
Repeat assessment will be developed to align with failed components
LO 1,1 The role of the professional Manager in leading teams at work
- discuss the role of the team leader in terms of people management responsibilities.
- difference between a HR Specialist Manager and Team Leader in terms of people management responsibilities.
- core skills required to be effective in managing people at work
LO 1,2 Recruitment and Selection
- the recruitment and selection process
- recruitment methods
- employee selection methods
- the selection interview
- employment legislation and recruitment and selection
LO 1,3 Managing performance and performance appraisal
- the role and value of performance management
- how performance review should be conducted
- performance management pitfalls
- performance management systems
- dealing with underperformance
- coaching in performance management
LO 1,4 Managing the grievance process
- employee complaints and grievances
- principles of effective grievance handling
- the grievance process
- the role of the Manager in upholding dignity and respect at work
- responding to complaints of bullying and harassment
LO1,5 Managing the disciplinary process
- why disciplinary process are important
- principles of natural justice
- pre disciplinary process
- gross misconduct
- disciplinary procedure
- how to conduct a disciplinary hearing
LO 1,6 Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- understanding equality, diversity and inclusion and the terms associated with same
- equality, diversity and inclusion management philosophies
- drivers for managing EDI
- developing EDI initiatives
- EDI policies
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Group Assignment||Coursework Assessment||Assignment||40 %||OnGoing||1,2|
|2||Individual Assignment||Coursework Assessment||Assignment||30 %||Week 9||3,4|
|3||Moodle Quiz||Coursework Assessment||Assignment||30 %||Week 13||1,2,3,4,5|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Independent Learning||UNKNOWN||Self directed learning||3||Weekly||3.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2020 Armstrong's Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice Kogan Page Publishers
ISBN 9780749498283 ISBN-13 0749498285
2010-11-01 HR for Line Managers Personnel Publications
ISBN 1906946019 ISBN-13 9781906946012
HR for Line Managers is an insightful and comprehensive book for all line managers who wish to achieve best practice in people management skills and manage and maximize the human capital of their organization.
2018 Human Resource Management Red Globe Press
ISBN 9781352004021 ISBN-13 135200402X
2017 Human Resource Management in Ireland IPA
ISBN 1910393177 ISBN-13 9781910393178
People Management Journal, CIPD
Human Resource Development Review
Advance in Developing Human Resources
DVDs: Various CIPD and Video Arts products
Case Studies: CIPD Case Studies
Book, journal, website, and other resources may alter and extend as the programme progresses.