ENG09028 2020 Modelling, Simulation and Test Methods for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
This module introduces systems engineering concepts such as the modelling and simulation of driver assistance functions as well as an overview of the test and validation requirements and processes for autonomous vehicles.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Critically evaluate model-based approaches for the development and test of advanced driver assistance systems and autonomous vehicles.
Summarise the System Engineering process in the development of technology for autonomous vehicles
Use computer aided tools to model and simulate real-world scenarios for the development of advanced driver assistance systems
Evaluate goal orientated architecture and the levels of abstraction for modelling of advanced driver assistance systems
Compare validation requirements, technologies and methods for advanced driver assistance systems and autonomous vehicles.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
A lecture will be provided each week. In advance of the lecture students will be asked to review key text book chapters and academic papers that are relavent to the lecture.
A significant focus will be placed on project based learning through the completion of both individual and group projects in order to prepare the student for the fast paced development in this field.
Module Assessment Strategies
This module will be 100% continuous assessment. The student will complete two individual assignments in addition to a significant group project.
Repeat project work can be submitted at the repeat exam series each year.
- Overview of Systems Engineering process and typical bottlenecks in the design and development of technology for autonomous vehicles (LO1, LO2)
- Overview of modern modelling methods and tools for the development of advanced driver assistance systems (LO1, LO4)
- Requirements for real-time modelling regarding accuracy, operating range, simulation speed, handling/knowledge, robustness, information content and portability
- Inductive vs. deductive modelling, approximation capability of a model, regarding local / global as well as static and dynamic mapping
- Hybridization of model structures
- Simulation configuration from model to hardware in loop (MiL to HiL)
- V-Model in advanced driver assistance systems
- ADAS Camera Modelling
- Overview of test and simulation methods methods and tools for the development of advanced driver assistance systems (LO1, LO3, LO5)
- Modern Modelling and Simulation Techniques for ADAS (LO1, LO3, LO4, LO5)
- Representation and Analysis of Modelling and Simulation Results (LO3, LO5)
- Overview of Neural Networks & ADAS for modelling and simulation (LO1, LO5)
- Implementation of modelling, simulation and data analysis for advanced driver assistance systems in a real-world scenario: (LO3, LO4, LO5)
- Road / Environment Modelling;
- Driver Manoeuvre Modelling;
- Vehicle/Sensors Modelling
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Learning Outcomes Assessed
Full Time Mode Workload
|Practical / Laboratory
Online Learning Mode Workload
|Practical / Laboratory
Required & Recommended Book List
2018-03-06 Modelling and Simulation for Autonomous Systems: 4th International Conference, MESAS 2017, Rome, Italy, October 24-26, 2017, Revised Selected Papers (Lecture Notes in Computer Science) Springer
This book constitutes the thoroughly refereed post-workshop proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Modelling and Simulation for Autonomous Systems, MESAS 2017, held in Rome, Italy, , in October 2017.
The 33 revised full papers included in the volume were carefully reviewed and selected from 38 submissions. They are organized in the following topical sections: M&S of Intelligent Systems AI, R&D and Applications; Autonomous Systems in Context of Future Warfare and Security Concepts, Applications, Standards and Legislation; Future Challenges and Opportunities of Advanced M&S Technology.
2017-05-22 Signal Processing for In-Vehicle Systems: Dps, Driver Behavior, and Safety (Signal Processing for In-Vehicle Systems, Driver Behavior, a) Imprint unknown
ISBN 1501504126 ISBN-13 9781501504129
2016-05-04 Simulation and Testing for Vehicle Technology: 7th Conference, Berlin, May 12-13, 2016 Springer
ISBN 331932344X ISBN-13 9783319323442
IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems