CAPP06038 2022 Advanced Business Technology
The aim of this module is to provide the learner with the advanced technology skills required to work in a business environment. Practically, the student will learn how to construct a problem-based spreadsheet and create an informational web site. The student will acquire an understanding of the theoretical aspects of the business environment.
On completion of this module the learner will/should be able to;
Implement a complex spreadsheet from a text-based scenario.
Produce a web site that incorporates various forms of media.
Acquire a knowledge of the theoretical aspects of the business environment.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
The learner will be provided with direct instruction in a computer lab, to facilitate active and experiential learning. Various strategies will be used to improve student learning via lectures, class discussions, case studies, PowerPoint slides, audio and video clips.
Module Assessment Strategies
Learning outcomes will be assessed through the creation of applications which address practical real-world problems. Assessments will incorporate design and implementation elements. All topics are to be taught using Problem-Based Learning Techniques.
If the student fails the module overall, he/she will be required to repeat the failed component(s) only, by means of examination(s) during the Autumn examination session.
Spreadsheet Application Development (LO1):
- Design and develop an advanced spreadsheet using problem-based learning techniques,
- Incorporate various complex calculations using advanced formulae and functions,
(financial, logical, text, date and time, lookup and reference, mathematical, statistical, information),
- Organise, validate, manipulate, summarise, predict and analyse data,
- Display information in charts, pivot tables, pivot charts and dashboards.
Web Creation (LO2):
- Create an informational web site using web development or web-based tools,
- Incorporate and modify text, images, buttons, hyperlinks, forms, maps, audio and video,
- Organise content in a variety of different ways,
- Preview and publish.
- Design guidelines for creating a web site,
- Domain names, SEO, hosting (requirements, costing),
- E-commerce & E-business - definition, types of e-commerce, e-commerce business models, benefits of e-commerce, limitations of e-commerce. payment systems (e.g., e-cheques, electronic credit cards, virtual credit cards, purchasing cards, electronic cash, person to person payments (PayPal) ), How an electronic credit card works,
- Traditional versus modern marketing; digital/social media marketing,
- Data analytics - what is it?, what does it do?, business advantages, types of data analytics applications & their uses,
- Introduction to project management.
Coursework & Assessment Breakdown
|Title||Type||Form||Percent||Week||Learning Outcomes Assessed|
|1||Advanced Spreadsheet Design/Development||Coursework Assessment||Practical Evaluation||40 %||Week 12||1|
|2||Web Site Creation||Coursework Assessment||Practical Evaluation||20 %||Week 4||2|
|3||Theory Assessment||Coursework Assessment||Assessment||40 %||Week 11||3|
Full Time Mode Workload
|Supervision||Computer Laboratory||Problem-Based Learning||2||Weekly||2.00|
|Lecture||Classroom Fixed Seating||Theoretical Aspects of Module||1||Weekly||1.00|
|Independent Learning||Not Specified||Self-Study||4||Weekly||4.00|
Required & Recommended Book List
2020 Confident Web Design: Master the Fundamentals of Website Creation and Supercharge Your Career (Confident Series) Kogan Page
Excel 2016 Bible John Wiley & Sons
Excel 2019 Bible John Wiley & Sons
ISBN 9781119514787 ISBN-13 1119514789
2019 Information Technology Essentials Volume 1: Introduction to Information Systems Independently Published
2019 Management Information Systems Wiley
ISBN 1119588618 ISBN-13 9781119588610
McFedries, P. (2019) Microsoft Excel 2019 Formulas & Functions. Microsoft Press 2019.
Support material prepared by lecturers and available to students on the college network or via Moodle.